Job Description: Shop Supervisor
Reports directly to: Fabrication Foreman
Employment type: Full-time, permanent
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Compensation Range: From $37/hr
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the welding shop by supervising, coordinating, and scheduling the activities of steel fabrication, cutting, welding, and painting
- Oversee all fabrication apprentices as well as general labourers and painters
- Fabricate with mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum
- Maintain Welders, Brake, Shear, and other shop equipment
- Review employees’ time sheets each morning and ensure they are accurate. Question employees if hours are incorrect
- Coordinate work within employee’s skill set
- Being a working supervisor, you will spend approximately 75% of your time on the tools. You will need to focus most of your fabrication time on job setup and helping employees with fabrication.
- Organize projects to ensure jobs run efficiently on the shop floor Give employees all the information required and help guide them in the most efficient way to fabricate the product
- Keep attendance records, assign and delegate overtime work as required
- Take corrective action for improvement by providing counseling and utilizing the disciplining process when standards are not met
- Ensure the shop is clean and organized. Have a few employees keep focused on organizing on their downtime.
- Ensure all staff are trained and tested on the usage and safety of all equipment.
- Keep a close eye on potential risk hazards within the shop, paint booth, etc.
- Maintain all equipment in safe and operating standards
- Follows Axiom quality control program by conducting in-process inspections and evaluating the finished product
- Ensure all structural work is performed by qualified individuals and weld procedures are followed.
Skills And Qualifications
- Minimum five years experience as a qualified welder is required
- Previous fabricating and assembling experience is essential
- Able to read blueprints and organize work schedule
- Requires knowledge of C.W.B., OH&S acts and regulations, and equipment inspection requirements
- Knowledge and ability to use a plasma cutter, laser cutting table, oxy/acetylene torch, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW and SMAW
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of safe practices regarding all tools and equipment
- Experience working in a steel manufacturing environment
- Ability to oversee and coordinate a large shop operation; must have the ability to act as “go-between”, between workers and management and ability to make decisions
- Must be an organized individual, self-motivated, and a self-starter